Fetishism in Fashion by trend forecaster Lidewij Edelkoort delves into the world of contemporary fetishism, to reveal an instinctive future for style and culture. Bolder, crazier and more outlandish fashions are on the horizon.
This book is a key reference at a time of experimentation and intense creativity. It investigates the evolution of taste from birth to adulthood, the elevation of shoes through ever-higher heels, the psychology of branding, the effects of infantilism, the power of the colour black, the fetishising of objects, and the interaction with skin and the body.
With visually-rich – and sometimes shocking – photography and essays by established authors discussing art, clothing, design, textiles, food and beauty, this in-depth publication sheds new light on the fetishism phenomenon.
More than 50 fetishes are illustrated by inspiring visuals from the likes of Leigh Bowery and Erwin Olaf, boundary-stretching works from designers such as Formafantasma and Alexander McQueen, and eye-opening essays by Susan Piët and Valerie Steele, amongst others.
The publication of this book coincides with the 2013 edition of Mode Biennale in Arnhem, the Netherlands.
About the Author
From her creation of innovative trend books and audio-visuals since the 1980s to lifestyle analysis and research conducted for the world’s leading brands today, Lidewij Edelkoort (1950) has pioneered trend forecasting as a profession. She announces the concepts, colours and materials which will be in fashion two or more years in advance. She and her closely-knit team interpret the evolution of society and the signals of consumer tastes to come, without forgetting economic reality.
- The content of the book may shock, but also inspire and excite
- Beautifully packaged, the book is entwined with an enticing rubber band
- More than 50 fetishes are illustrated by inspiring visuals
- Filled with articles and imagery covering a wide range of contemporary issues relating to fashion, fetishism and society
- Includes short stories written by author and trend forecaster Lidewij Edelkoort, as well as contributing authors and experts
- Official catalogue of the Mode Biennale Arnhem 2013
- Frame Publishers
- Written by Lidewij Edelkoort
- Edited by Philip Fimmano
- Graphic design by Jeroen Jas
- 248 pages / full colour / hardcover with rubber band
- 230 x 290 mm
- ISBN 978-94-91727-13-9
- ‘A must-have book!’ (Elle magazine, the Netherlands)
- ‘If you’re looking for an immersive read that will challenge your comfort zones and create a striking talking point on your coffee table, Fetishism in Fashion is the one.’ (Visi magazine, South Africa)
- 'This visually rich, sometimes shocking work is a masterpiece in experimentation and creativity.' (Elle Decoration magazine, South Africa)
- 'This volume is a visual feast for the eyes and, rather than shock, is set to inspire not just fetishists of all ages and tastes, but creative minds interested in the visual arts.' (Irenebrination: Notes on Art, Fashion and Style blog)