Sketch showcases the illustrations and digital artwork of New York-based designer Karim Rashid from his early career to the present day.
This book comprises a carefully chosen selection of nearly 300 experimental drawings, computer-rendered artistic explorations, and architectural illustrations that were mostly produced for client projects.
A talented artist since childhood, Karim's sketches are bursting with vitality and optimism. His drawings all exhibit a visual consistency and confidence of line that is impressive in its visual form and its communicative power. In his global design practice, Karim's sketches are the conceptual reference point for all project development work.
Karim's award-winning designs include objects such as the ubiquitous Garbo waste can and Oh Chair for Umbra, and interiors such as the Morimoto restaurant in Philadelphia and the Prizeotel in Bremen. Karim has collaborated with clients to create designs for Method and Dirt Devil, furniture for Artemide and Magis, brand identities for Citibank and Hyundai, high-tech products for LaCie and Samsung, and luxury goods for Veuve Clicquot and Swarovski - all of which are featured in this book.
Karim has produced thousands of sketches and hundreds of digital illustrations. In the book, there is no need for additional commentary - the drawings speak for themselves - and they offer a visual insight into Karim's design process. Sketch will serve as a document of inspirational explorations to Karim fans as well as artists and designers.
- Sketch is the first comprehensive volume of Karim Rashid's sketches and artworks.
- Sketch offers an insightful, inspirational view into Karim's art aesthetic and design process.
- Nearly 300 featured illustrations and digital artwork.
- An extensive index with information about each illustration: name, material used to make the illustration, year of production, name of client, etc.
- A broad introduction written by Karim Rashid himself explaining why he loves to draw.
- Frame Publishers
- Edited by Karim Rashid
- Graphic Design by Stephen Schmidt - Duuplex
- 280 pages / full colour / hardcover in PVC slipcase
- 230 x 297 mm portrait