A history lesson is on the agenda as we meet with former businessman Wang Wei, who promotes a new way of dealing with China’s architectural heritage. Meanwhile, Los Angeles planning consultant Marcy Goodwin builds bridges between museum clients and their architects. The skyline of Toronto suburb Mississauga is livened with two towering – albeit natural – skyscrapers of Ma Yansong. In Biarritz, the Cité de l’Océan et du Surf is Steven Holl Architects’ vision of how best to view the horizon. Finally, prepare yourself for a cosmic spectacle at Iceland’s new Harpa concert hall, where Henning Larsen and Olafur Eliasson merged forces.
Kazuyasu Kochi, StudioGreenBlue, Zaha Hadid, Hidalgo Hartmann, Assemble, Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, TNA, Future Studio, ITN, Theo Deutinger, Hironaka Ogawa, Heri&Salli, Hideaki Takayanagi, UID, Clavel Arquitectos, Jack Fisk, Kengo Kuma, Colboc Franzen, Studio Velocity, Takeshi Hosaka, Fuhrimann Hächler, Kazuyo Sejima, Toyo Ito
Nieto Sobejano (Madrid), Onishimaki + Hyakudayuki (Tokyo)
- Henning Larsen Architects in Reykjavik: Reykjavik’s new concert hall merges the powers of Henning Larsen and Olafur Eliasson in one cosmic spectacle.
- Estudio Barozzi Veiga in Águilas: The shining white auditorium on the beach of Águilas is a reference point for further urban development.
- Relocated Houses in Shanghai: China’s old rural houses find a second life in the Wendao and Hui Gardens of Shanghai.
- MAD in Mississauga: With the Absolute Towers, Ma Yansong adds some excitement to the skyline of Mississauga.
- Letter from Helsinki: Wastelands and neglected strips of land is what Hella Hernberg likes about Helsinki.
- Steven Holl Architects in Biarritz: The Cité de l’Océan et du Surf in Biarritz is iconic in an experiential way.
- Self-Help for Architects: Are you an architect in crisis? Do not despair. Relief is under way in the form of countless self-help books.
- Marcy Goodwin in Los Angeles: Planning consultant Marcy Goodwin builds bridges between museum clients and their architects.
- L3P Architekten in Oberweningen: Two houses in Oberweningen aim a subtle wink at gabled roofs in the vicinity.
- One-on-one with Thomas Hines (Los Angeles)
- Inflatable steel furniture by Oskar Zieta (Wroclaw)
- Elbphilharmonie facade by Herzog & de Meuron (Hamburg)
- A ‘earth brick’ invention by Atelier Tekuto (Chiba)