Inspiring, educational, innovative and informative: these museum designs are world class.
1. Herta and Paul Amir Building by Preston Scott Cohen, Inc.
Tel Aviv, Israel
A new building for the Tel Aviv Museum of Art is – literally and metaphorically – a triangle form on a rectangular plot.
2. EYE Film Institute by Delugan Meissl Associated Architects
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Fusing illusion and experience, the new EYE Film Institute in Amsterdam is an architectural representation of the light, space and movement seen in movies.
3. Titanic Belfast by Todd Architects & CivicArts/Eric R Kuhne & Associates
Belfast, Northern Ireland
The world’s largest Titanic experience is opening today in Belfast, Ireland – the place where the iconic ship had been designed and built.
4. OCT Design Museum by Studio Pei-Zhu
An extra-terrestrial volume appears to have landed on the site of Shenzen’s OCT Design Museum.
5. Easter Sculpture Museum by Exit Architects
Near Alicante, a renovation has infused the historic Casa del Conde home with a modern museum space.
6. Hiroshi Senju Museum Annex by Yasui Hideo Atelier
In Japanese resort town Karuizawa, a museum’s shop, restaurant and offices appear have landed in a spaceship-like structure.
7. Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art by Safdie Architects
A contemporary art museum is a stunning series of wood-and-glass pavilions nestled around two ponds.
8. Xinjin Zhi Museum by Kengo Kuma & Associates
The design of a pavilion-like museum reflects the Taoist religion in its materials, concept, use of space and exhibitions.
9. Städel Museum Extension by Schneider+Schumacher Architekten
It was in early 2008 that Frankfurt-based Schneider+Schumacher Architekten won an international competition for the design of an extension of the Städel Museum.
10. Musee de la Grande Guerre by Christophe Lab
A concrete and glass fortress commemorates World War I at a 3000-sq-m museum in Meaux, France.